Pumpkins are one of those cool things farmers produce: they’re good to eat and fun to decorate! October is prime pumpkin month.
If you’re going to carve some, I’d love to see pictures! (You can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Remove dirt: Wipe the exterior surfaces of the carved pumpkin clean using a damp cloth.
- Treat with bleach solution: Combine 1 tablespoon of bleach per quart of water and put in a spray bottle. Spray the inside of your carved pumpkin and all of the cut surfaces with the solution. This will kill a lot of the surface bacteria and mold that cause rotting. Let the pumpkin sit for 20 minutes.
- Rub the carved or cut surfaces with petroleum jelly. This will keep out new bacteria and molds and help prevent your jack-o’-lantern from dehydrating.
- Keep your pumpkin out of direct sunlight and keep it as cool as possible – but above freezing.